Bridging The Gap - "Getting Physically Active"
"Bridging the Gap - Getting Physically Active" offers individuals with physical disabilities the opportunity to get involved in wheelchair sports. If you are looking to get involved in sports at either a recreational or competitive level, we can help!
BJ Engerdahl - Provincial Program Coordinator
Bridging the Gap
Toll Free: 888-453-6770
If you would like to get involved, scroll down for a list of events happening around Alberta cities.
Don't see a city in your area listed?
Contact us at email@example.com for more info.
Our "Have a Go" days offer a variety of different sports for participants to sample in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. Current wheelchair athletes demonstrate sports and share their stories of getting involved and being physically active. Once individuals have identified a sport that interests them, they can participate regularly in a weekly developmental program. The focus of the program is to introduce and support continued involvement of individuals with physical disabilities in wheelchair sports and recreational opportunities, promoting an active, healthy lifestyle and improved quality of life.
Our Weekly Programs are an opportunity for clients to try out different sports at a recreational level. If they wish to continue to a more competitive team, we can offer support in finding an appropriate team. If they wish to continue at a recreational level, they are encouraged to keep coming to the Weekly Program! Each week, a sport is selected based on the participants in attendance.
Tennis Development Program
Wheelchair Sports Alberta and Bridging The Gap will be offering Wheelchair Tennis Lessons this fall. The lessons will run from 6 pm - 8 pm starting Saturday October 20th and continuing every Saturday up until and including December 15th. For more information please see the poster or contact the BTG Program Coordinator - BJ Engerdahl firstname.lastname@example.org VIEW THE POSTER HERE
Curling Have-A-Go Day
Edmonton Rocks Wheelchair Curling Association in conjunction with WSA BTG is offering a Curling Have-A-Go Day. September 29 & 30, 1:30 - 3:30, Jasper Place Curling Club. The event is free to all interested individuals. Please contact Mike 780-263-2094 or Cathy 780-489-6428. For more information: VIEW THE EVENT POSTER HERE
Twice weekly outdoor wheelchair racing / handcycle training in Calgary.
- For more info, please contact Steve at email@example.com
The Grizzlies and Rollers are hosting a development program at Mount Royal University. All players are welcome to attend!
When: October – April on Wednesday nights from 7:00 – 10:00pm
Where: Mount Royal University Triple Gym East Court
Cost: $15.00 for students / $12.00 for juniors / $20.00 for members of MRU / $35.00 for non-members (from September – April)
- For more information about the Calgary Grizzlies and Rollers, visit http://www.calgarygrizzlies.ab.ca/
The Calgary Inferno practice weekly.
- For a full listing of practice dates and times, please visit http://www.calgaryinferno.com.
The 2012 - 13 sledge hockey season is underway!
- If you are interested in learning more, or want to get involved, visit http://www.calgarysledgehockey.ca/ for all the details.
Wheelchair Sports Alberta has purchased 3 floating memberships to the Calgary Tennis Club for the 2012 outdoor tennis season. These memberships are available for any of our members to use at anytime this summer. Please contact BJ Engerdahl for more details.
Weekly Multi-Sports Program
This drop-in program is a great chance for you to try different sports and stay active. It is open to patients at the Glenrose, as well as members of the community!
When: Thursdays from 5:00 pm - 6:30 p
Where: Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital - GlenWest Gym (10230 - 111 Avenue, Edmonton)
- For more information about the program, contact BJ Engerdahl at (780) 427-8721 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Alberta Northern Lights have opportunities for anyone looking to get active or be competitive!
- For more information about the club, visit http://www.albertanorthernlights.com/.
The Edmonton Steel Wheels Quad Rugby team practices twice a week in Edmonton.
- For information about the sport or the team, visit http://www.steel-wheels.ca/quadrugby/Home.html.
- Contact Bruce Crosby - Phone: (780) 905-0751 / Email email@example.com
The Edmonton Wheelchair Rugby Summer League runs July - August each year. The unique thing about this league is that it is open to all ablities. Able bodied players are assigned a classification of 3.5 and other than that, all regular rugby rules apply.
- If you are interested in getting involved please contact Bruce Crosby for more details.
Bridging The Gap hosts periodic wheelchair rugby developmental scrimmage nights, demonstrations, and Have-A-Go Days in Edmonton and across the province.
- For details on the next BTG wheelchair rugby event, contact BJ Engerdahl - Phone: 780.427.8721 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Edmonton Impact splits their practice time between the Tri-Leisure Centre in Spruce Grove and the Leduc Recreation Centre.
- For more info about the team or details on how you can get involved, visit: http://www3.telus.net/eshc/home.htm
- Please contact the Bridging The Gap - Provincial Program Coordinator BJ Engerdahl.
The Lethbridge Steamers team will be starting up again in the fall of 2012.
- If you are interested in getting involved, please contact email@example.com for more information
Weekly Multi-Sports Program (Program Currently Not Running)
This drop-in program is a great chance for you to try different sports and stay active!
Where: Red Deer College Kevin Sirois Gymnasium (KS 1000)
- For more specific information about the program, or to check on availability please contact BJ Engerdahl.
- Contact Brent Haase - Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Men's Provical Wheelchair Basketball Coach Darrell Nordell - email@example.com
All major wheelchair sport events in Grande Prairie are hosted and run by the Wolverines Wheelchair Sport Association.
- For more information, visit their official website at http://www.gpwolverines.com/